Looking for a delicious, simple dinner on the cheap? Then you’ve got to try this! Whether you’re making it for a few people, kids or a group, everyone is sure to love it and come back for seconds.
I have a slight obsession with hamburger pizza, but it’s really hard to find. While searching for a recipe to make my own, Cheeseburger Pie, which I haven’t had (let alone thought about) in at least 15 years, popped into my head. So I had to have it. I’ve always loved to cook, and when I was a kid my mom gave me this Alpha Bakery Children’s Cookbook which had a recipe for every letter of the alphabet. (P.s. If you’re looking for an awesome kid-friendly cookbook, I recommend this one. It’s super fun!) I remember starting with the “A” recipe and working all the way to “Z” over the course of a few months, and the “C” recipe is one that I still remember the most: Cheeseburger Pie. I found a recipe online that sounded very similar and decided to give it a shot. After tweaking it a bit and adding a few of my own personal touches, I must say that I was very impressed and am a fan all over again.
I posted a picture of my meal on Instagram and had several people commenting and texting me for asking for the recipe, so I figured this would be the best place to post it for all to see. (recipe below)
This meal is super easy to make for any level cook, cheap, quick and delicious. The best thing about it is that you can add or take out pretty much any ingredient that you like or don’t like to make this your own. I found the original recipe’s meat to be a little bland, so I jazzed it up a bit and it turned out perfectly!
(Adapted from Bisquick’s Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie)
- Cheeseburger Pie
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 T. salt
- 1 T. Season All
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 pkg. fully-cooked real bacon bits
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup dill pickle chips
- 1/2 cup Bisquick mix
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- Step 1: Heat oven to 400°F. Spray 9-inch glass pie plate with cooking spray.
- Step 2: In 10-inch skillet, add ground beef, salt, Season All, chili powder and garlic powder. Cook beef and onion over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown; drain. Spread in pie plate. Sprinkle bacon bits on top of the beef, then sprinkle with cheese. Spread pickle chips evenly on top of cheese. Sprinkle lightly with pepper.
- Step 3: In small bowl, stir remaining ingredients with fork or wire whisk until blended. Pour into pie plate.
- Step 4: Bake about 25 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- *For more of a cheeseburger taste, drizzle with ketchup and mustard or serve on the side.
*I didn’t have a glass pie dish, so I used a glass 8×8″ casserole dish instead.
*Other ingredients that would be delicious: Tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapenos, or mushrooms.
Let me know what you think!