Happy Mother’s Day Week! I can’t believe we are almost halfway through May already. This Mother’s Day is going to be so wonderful for us for so many reasons. My in-laws are coming to visit from Chicago this week, and this is the first time in years that Jimmy will get to spend Mother’s Day with his mom (and his sister, too!). Since they will be here, my mom and step dad are coming to Jacksonville as well, and so is my sister, her boyfriend and her two girls! I have been so excited that I get to celebrate with ALL of the moms in my life that I almost forgot that I am now a mom and get to be honored, too! I’ve scheduled a Mother’s Day photoshoot for all of us at sunset on the beach for Saturday, and Sunday we are doing brunch at Candy Apple Cafe, one of my favorites. It’s going to be a great weekend all around :). I’ll be sure to share pictures in a recap post next week!
Now that I’m a mom, Mother’s Day this year has a whole new meaning. I’ve always loved celebrating my mom, but now I have a completely new appreciation for her. What she went through to grow me in her belly, the pain and exhaustion she went through to bring me into this world, the sleepless nights and exhausting first months, her selflessness for so many years, the expenses she’s incurred … but also the unconditional love that I’m sure she, like myself, never knew was possible until she became a mom. It truly is the greatest feeling in the world. People say it all the time, but you don’t get it get it until you experience it for yourself. There really is nothing like it, and I can hardly imagine life before motherhood anymore. The exhaustion, frustrations and forced hermitting are completely worth it to have the love of a child. It’s the greatest blessing.
Anyway, before I get too sentimental, I wanted to share a few last-minute gift ideas for those who are still looking for the perfect thing to get the mom in your life on this special day. Of course your love is enough, but it’s always nice to go the extra mile for the woman who does it all :). Some of these things always seemed so cliché to me and I didn’t want to buy them for my mom, but now I think otherwise. These are some of the items I would LOVE to have right now! So without further ado, here are some of the items I think every mom would love to receive:
- Get her what she needs or wants. If you’ve heard your wife or mom casually mention something she needs or would like to have, get it for her! No need to rack your brain for something to waste your money on. Get her what she needs, wants and will actually use. She’s not going to buy it for herself, so treat her to it and watch how proud she is that you even caught the hint.
- A spa day. No one deserves to be pampered and forced to relax like a mom. She’s up all night with the baby, hunched over feeding and holding her, hardly sits from the time she wakes up until she goes to bed (unless it’s for work, which doesn’t count), does the shopping, cooks the meals, cleans the house … you catch my drift. Force her to relax for a day by treating her to a massage, a facial, or mani/pedi. She’ll appreciate the peace and quiet, and come back glowing and feeling beautiful.
- Comfy shoes. Sounds lame, but I would kill for some new comfy sandals. It’s tough to wear heels when you’re carrying around a kid or a car seat, pushing a stroller, or lugging around grocery bags, so cute yet practical shoes are a must. These or these sneakers are stylish and super comfy, and these or these sandals are great for Summer days.
- Makeup. What woman wouldn’t appreciate a nice tube of lipstick or a beautiful eye shadow palette? Makeup is pricey and something a lot of moms can’t fathom spending the money on (because their kiddos are more important than makeup, believe it or not! HA), but it’s a nice luxury to be treated to. This eyeshadow palette is beautiful, and this LipSense lipstick will stay on all day – even through those smooches and three cups of coffee!
- A makeover. Speaking of makeup, treat Mom to a makeover at a local salon! Not that she needs to be made over, but I guarantee she would love to have her makeup professionally done for a night out, or update her hair color and style. What woman wouldn’t?!
- Jewelry. Every woman loves jewelry. If you want to gift her with something other than diamonds, Ellie’s Sparkles offers all kinds of gorgeous handmade pieces for all styles. Get something engraved with her kids’ monograms or birth dates, or even their silhouette! Plus, you’re supporting another mom – can’t beat that. (Use code BLAKELEY20 for 20% off your order)
- Cozy pajamas. Again, sounds lame, but believe me … comfy clothes are EVERYTHING! A soft cotton night gown (like this one), a cute set (like this one), a nice warm robe (like this one), or even a few pairs of sweat or yoga pants would be wonderful.
- Maid service. Let’s be honest: Mom probably cleans 90% of the house 95% of the time, but that doesn’t mean she always enjoys it. She just knows it has to get done and she’s the only one who will do it in a timely manner (am I right ladies, or what?). Give her a break by treating her to a gift certificate to a local maid service so she can actually enjoy her weekend for once.
- Case of wine. There’s nothing worse than coming home after a long day and realizing you’re out of wine. Enough said.
- A night away. Book her a room at a nice nearby hotel, or gift her a gift certificate for her to make the reservation on her own schedule. A night of no chores, alone with her man (or friends!), a freshly made bed … it doesn’t get much better.
- New pillows and a blanket. Splurge on a set of nice, comfy pillows or a super cozy blanket. One of the best feelings is plopping down on the bed after a long day, or cuddling up on the couch with a blanket.
- Perfume. This is one of those things that she hesitates to spend money on because it’s so pricey, but will use every single day. You can’t go wrong with classic scents like Marc Jacobs Daisy, J’adore by Dior, or NEST rollerballs for easy travel.
- A clean car. Sneak off with her keys and take her car to get fully detailed, or gift her a gift card to a local car spa. There’s nothing like a sparkling clean car, but man it’s a pain in the booty to do yourself!
- A nice meal. Guaranteed one her favorite things to do is spend quality time with her family. Take her to a restaurant she loves or has been wanting to try, and enjoy a nice brunch or dinner together. Good food + good company = pure happiness.
- Flowers. I know, I know … they die … guys think they’re a waste of money. But for some reason, we ladies really love fresh flowers. They make us happy, they brighten the room … instant cheer in a bouquet. You don’t have to spend a lot of money – even flowers picked up at the grocery store do the job. It’s just a nice way to show your love and appreciation, and bring an even brighter smile to her face. (If you’re in Jacksonville, check out Little Flower Bunch. You can order their daily bouquet and have it delivered to her doorstep for only $28!)
I could go on and on, but hopefully this helps give you some inspiration for gift ideas! If not for Mother’s Day, maybe for her birthday, Christmas, or just because :). Did I miss anything? What is something you would like to recieve for Mother’s Day? I hope you have a wonderful Sunday with your family and the most important person in the world!