Wicked the Musical is in town right now and I saw it (for my 4th time) last night. I cried. I laughed. I cheered ridiculously loudly. I had goosebumps basically the entire show. I had to refrain from singing at the top of my lungs (because I didn’t want to outshine the stars, obviously). If you’ve never seen Wicked the Musical, GO SEE IT!
CLICK HERE to view show times and purchase tickets.
I first saw Wicked ten years ago after my (then) boss told me it was a must. Since, I have seen dozens of Broadway and off-Broadway shows and Wicked is still my #1 favorite. I’ve been waiting years for it to return to Jacksonville, and when I got the media invitation to attend I literally SCREAMED with excitement! Y’all, I don’t really even like the movie The Wizard of Oz, but Wicked has my heart. Dare I say I even like it more than Lion King the Musical?! Yep.
Here are my top five reasons you NEED to see Wicked the Musical:
- You’ll learn the story behind The Wizard of Oz and how all of the characters came to be. If you don’t know, Wicked is basically the “prequel” to The Wizard of Oz, and is the story of how the Bad Witch became bad. It all makes so much more sense when you learn how each of the characters (the witches, the tin man, the scarecrow, the lion, etc.) came to be. The Wicked story line was created long after The Wizard of Oz, but it’s so wonderfully written and I just love how creative they were with it.
- The monkeys. The monkeys were always my least favorite part of The Wizard of Oz, but not Wicked. Their costumes are incredible, and the way the actors move like actual monkeys is so impressive. And they actually fly!
- You’ll cry. Not because it’s sad, but because it’s SO GOOD! The voices alone can literally bring tears to your eyes. Incredible. I cried in the opening scene and then at the end because it was over. Maybe I’m crazy, but it just blows me away every time!
- You’ll actually love the Bad Witch. Elphaba (her name) is actually the nicest character at all, but you’d never know if it you didn’t learn her story.
- It’s witty. There are so many clever references to The Wizard of Oz throughout the show, and hilarious lines thrown in. Even the inflections in the voices during some of the songs will make you giggle.
I could go on and on but I don’t want to spoil it for you. Let’s just say if a standing ovation was acceptable throughout the entire show I would have given them one.
Wicked the Musical is in Jacksonville now through December 1, 2019 at the Times-Union Center for the Performing Arts. CLICK HERE for show times and to purchase tickets. I’m confident that all shows will sell out and it likely won’t be back in Jacksonville for several years, so don’t delay getting your seats. Let me know if you go and what you think!
I’m planning my fifth show next week with my mom and sister. You could say I’m kind of a crazy fan girl 🙂
Thank you to the FSCJ Artist Series for sending us to see the show! My entire year has been made. CLICK HERE to see the other incredible shows coming to Jacksonville soon